Saturday, March 15, 2014

one big pan, full of bad bitches


Some of my favorite things about this city are the produce stores that, in less fancy neighborhoods, can be found on nearly every block.  Empty storefronts by night, fruterías are essentially the non-bougie brothers of farmer's markets: long, disorganized tables overflowing with produce delivered early that morning, open and ready for business every day of the week.  My favorites are the crowded and very well stocked markets of Tribunal, helmed by a dude with sometimes a cash register but often just a fannypack full of money, and a scale.  The fruits and vegetables in these places are weirdly of much better quality than in the supermarkets, and there is a notably larger variety of things.  Additional upside: crazytown cheap.  Like delicious eggplants for 20 cents cheap.   I'm confused how these places exist, but I'm not upset about it.

I forgot to buy basil when I went to the frutería this morning --- mostly because I didn't know I needed basil because I didn't really have a plan beyond Get Your Hands On That Eggplant --- so learn from my mistake and pick some up.  Then make this:

Eggplant and Tofu in Red Wine Basil Sauce
adapted from Earthly Feast

1 block extra firm tofu, cubed
1 medium eggplant, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 can diced tomatoes (the original recipe uses canned tomatoes with chilies, but to nobody's surprise, I couldn't find that. I was obviously heartbroken to have to add sriracha instead PSYCH so happy)
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 dashes soy sauce
1 tablespoon sriracha
2 teaspoons dried basil (don't be like me, use a big bunch of fresh basil)
1 big handful spinach, chopped
1/4 cup red wine
lots of salt and pepper


Stir fry tofu on high in olive oil, adding soy sauce partway through.  Reduce heat, add onions, and cook until they are translucent, and tofu is browned.  Add eggplant and zucchini and continue to sauté.

Add can of tomatoes with juice, plus sriracha, dried basil (wait until we add the spinach to add fresh basil, if that's what you're using) and garlic.  Cover.  Allow this to cook and bubble and get pretty for like 8 minutes.  Add greens, wine, salt and pepper, and stir to combine.  Cook uncovered for about 5 more minutes.

2 comments:

  1. that looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all lovely but the title is the best part.

    ReplyDelete