Monday, October 21, 2013

hand to mouth.


It is, evidently, not difficult to get Spanish kids hooked on a holiday they've never previously celebrated.  I should have known this.  People just like to party.  And if those people are too young to drive and the party involves lots of candy and plastic fangs, its like dear Halloween WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LI-I-I-I-I-IFE? I brought a pumpkin home the other day for carving purposes (cradling squash on the metro, very normal), and after my brief description of other festive traditions was met with genuine interest and curiosity, I toasted the seeds.

Toasted pumpkin seeds are a Halloween gateway drug.  One minute you're minding your own business, gutting a pumpkin on your kitchen floor, and the next you're fiending for candy corn with a previously undocumented ferocity.  We were decorating the house within the hour.  Today we watched like 17 Nightmare Before Christmas clips in a row.  I created addicts.


This was a great guideline, but as always, make the thing you wanna eat.  I subbed in nutmeg for the cumin, vanilla for the ginger, said no to the cayenne entirely, doubled the cinnamon and went the brown sugar route. So basically didn't follow the recipe at all.  There is one non negotiable thing: you MUST completely dry the seeds in the oven prior to coating.  This is the key to crunch, which is the key to addiction.  I know all about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment