Thursday, August 1, 2013

say it to me now.


Let us now brainstorm food names that are the same level of fun to say as they are good tasting.  Ready set go.

Sriracha.  Not sorry.
Shishkabobs.
Burrrrrrrrrito.
Falafel.
Dim sum.
Spanakopita.
Haricot vert.
Endive.
Beeeeeeeeets.
Fudge.
Borscht.
Pico de gallo.
Okra.
Gumdrops.
Popsicle.

There are a lot!  Which is the best one?

PSYCH that was a trick question, I know the best one.  I knew it all along.  There is a winner. I know the winner.  The winner is bibimbap.

Say it aloud right now please.

Bibimbap.
Bi. Bim. Bap.
Beeeee-bim-BAHHP.
BIBIMBAP.
BIBIMBAP!!!!!

UGH.

Bibimbap literally means "mixed rice."  It is a Korean dish (traditionally with a toasted rice base) of saucy vegetables, meat sometimes, and in the best places, a fried egg.  I ate it first with Seitan at the vegetarian holy land near my apartment, and have since craved it on a biweekly basis.  Also sometimes I yell its name in public just for fun.

Today we make bibimbap (based on the recipe from Bon Appetit).  Ready set go.


Grain base.
I used quinoa because I am in a monogamous relationship with quinoa. You can flirt with rice (brown, white, wild), barley, couscous, farro, lentils, whatever you're into, I don't know your life.

Garlicky spinach.
6 ounces of spinach leaves cooked down in 1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil with two small cloves of garlic, minced.  Season with salt and ground pepper.

Bean sprout and carrot slaw.
Toss shredded carrots and bean sprouts with rice wine vinegar, a little tahini, salt and pepper.


Soy-glazed mushrooms.
Coat 2 cups thinly sliced shititakes with a whisked mixture of 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1 tablespoon honey.  Simmer over medium heat until liquid is absorbed.

Bulgogi tofu.
Technically this should be thinly sliced beef but I wasn't feeling it.  Marinade your protein (whatever you desire to use) in the following sauce for at least 30 minutes, and then cook in a hot pan with 1/2 tablespoon of oil, flipping to cook through.

Bulgogi: Whisk together 1/4 cup soy sauce; 1/3 cup grated Asian pear with juices; 1 large clove of garlic, minced; 2 teaspoons honey; and 1 teaspoon grated ginger.


Sauteed zucchini.
Sesame oil, salt and pepper.

&&&&& a fried egg!
Plus sriracha because hi.

Ohhh biii.
Oh bim.
Oh bap.
Oh death I am so full of this stuff I have eaten nine bowls send help.

No comments:

Post a Comment