Tuesday, August 13, 2013

libra.


I wrote a big thing here about how I have trouble making decisions, because I tend to worry about the course of fate, but then I deleted it.  I wrote about how when debating between pizza and Thai food for dinner, I am often concerned with like, upsetting the cosmos or something by making the wrong choice. Am I supposed to have pizza today?  Would I be ignoring the urgings of the universe if I ordered curry?  If I order Chinese will my fortune cookie tell me what to do?  Should just eat already before I give myself an aneurysm?

I deleted the crazytalk reflection because it can all be summed up quite simply: I think choices are scary as shit.  I don't like to make them, and even so, in the coming few weeks I'm gonna have to make a couple big ones.  Does this make me want to crawl into my bed and watch The West Wing for hours?  Yes, and so I did that.  And then I got out of bed, and I took a deep breath, and I watered the basil plant, and then I made muffins.


The only decision these muffins present you with is whether or not you want to make them.  And right now, I am the universe, and I am saying to you, softly at first and then with steadily increased volume and fervor: yes you do yes you do MAKE them MAKE THEM.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins 
makes 15
adapted from Kitchen Belleicious

for the muffins
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 eggs
1 stick of butter, melted
1/2 cup nonfat greek yogurt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
zest and juice of one lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 heaping cup fresh blueberries

for the crumble
1 stick of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup granulated sugar
pinch of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix flour, salt and baking soda in a small bowl.  Set aside.

Beat eggs, butter and sugars together until creamy.  Add yogurt, lemon and vanilla and continue to beat until combined.  Fold dry ingredients into this mixture, being sure not to over mix.  Fold in blueberries last.

Cut sugars, flour and salt for the crumble into the butter using a fork.  Continue to mix until clumps form.

Fill muffin liners in a muffin tin 3/4 full of batter, and then top with a serious sprinkling of crumble.  Bake for 15 minutes.


I lied, the only real question these muffins pose to you is how many you are going to eat right out of the oven.  If you are anything like me, your answer is one.  And then one before bed, and then two for breakfast the next morning ughhhh but you can't hate yourself because fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment