Sunday, July 14, 2013

screamin.


Ice cream sandwiches were the first food items I posted about on this here web log animal, long long ago as a blogging baby in July 2011.  Katy Perry was still relevant when I last wrote about ice cream sandwiches.  Covert Affairs was still a good show (my crush on Auggie, however, remains strong and unabashed).  I was still in college.  A lot of things have changed.  But ice cream sandwiches, with homemade outsides and store bought middles, remain my summer dessert of choice.  I humbly present to you an updated version, which I stacked in a bucket and lugged many blocks and fed to some friends fairly recently.  I heard good things about them.  Make them for yourself today.


Do you know about brown butter?  It is normal butter, but with all of the water cooked out of it in a pan on the stove.  It gets caramel-y in both color and smell.  I was freaking out while it was in my kitchen.  It attacked all of my senses and I went sort of crazy in my mind.  First I was like, What if I drink all of this right now? and then I was like, What if I just rub it all over my body and wear it as perfume, would that attract boys? and then I was like, Kendra put that butter in the fridge immediately before you become a disgusting social deviant. 

Chocolate Dipped Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Slash Vanilla Ice Cream Sandwiches 

Prepare brown butter chocolate chip cookies according to this recipe.  The fridge time is essential, the pecans are not (I omitted them).  Also that sprinkle of sea salt at the end?  BUH that's the secret of life.  Allow to cool completely.

The smashing of ice cream between two cookies can be done in a variety of ways (namely, like, thaw the thing and use a spoon and stuff), but here's what I did: in making cookies with about the same diameter as the carton of vanilla bean ice cream that I purchased, I found that sliding a knife around the edge of the carton, removing the block of ice cream, and slicing it into discs created pretty clean rounds to bookend with cookies.  I have also seen people cut through the carton itself, but can say nothing about its effectiveness.  You do you, lovers.   After assembling the sandwiches, return to the freezer for 30 minutes to harden.  The sandwiches.  Put the sandwiches in the freezer, not yourself.  To harden.  Ok bye.

Melt a bunch of semisweet chocolate in the microwave.  Dip sandwiches half in chocolate, and then freeze again before eating!  Will keep longer individually wrapped, so cover those babies in foil and allocate yourself 1 per day meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment