Saturday, July 13, 2013

foreign children.


I'm having deja vu about this post.  Have I really not made dutch baby for this blog before?  How can that be true?

The other week, Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere discussed the making of these eggy pancakey staples of my childhood, but the pictures that accompanied her writing made me...like a tiny bit sad for her.  THIS was the dutch baby she was eating?  She was settling for this flat and substance-less little sliver of a thing?  Was she punishing herself on purpose or did she really, truly not know any better?

My mother felt similarly about the post, and for good reason: the woman has been whipping up baking pans literally exploding with the puffed-up breakfast item (or breakfast-for-dinner, which >>>>>> everything) for years, and executes it perfectly every time.  Golden brown on top, with a thick layer of egg-custard-pancake-I don't know what underneath, covered in powdered sugar and maple syrup.  I do not know how she justified it for most meatless Friday dinners during Lents of yore, but she did, and we gobbled it.

This happened, then, in response to the C&C post:




I come by my sass real honest.

A quick google search of dutch baby, however, makes it clear that both varieties of the thing -- depressingly tortillaish on one side and not unlike Chicago deep dish pizza on the other -- are acceptable and true to the name.  I have not remained impartial about a favorite type during this post, but to you I will say, do whatever you want.  Make whatever kind you want.  But make mine.  But do whatever you want.  But if you want to be right and happy make mine.  But really, up to you.


Dutch Baby
from Sunset's All Time Favorite Recipe Book
Using measurements from the chart above, place butter in the pan and set in a 425 degree oven.  While butter melts, mix eggs at high speed in a blender for one minute.  With the blender still running, gradually add milk, and then flour, continuing to blend for 30 seconds after everything has been added.

Remove pan from oven and pour in the egg mixture.  Bake until puffy, 20 - 25 minutes. Cut into pieces and cover with syrup, powdered sugar, lemon juice, fresh fruit, ice cream, sriracha (am I kidding though?) and gobble.

No comments:

Post a Comment