Tuesday, January 22, 2013

zop.


The other day, my roommate and I were both in the kitchen making soup.  Mine was a veggie/herb/wild rice situation which was fine and exactly what I needed in that moment.  But hers.  HERS.  Oh my lanta.  It was orange and bubbly and smelled SO FRICKIN GOOD and while it was cooking and she was in the shower, I stole a bite (are you reading this? Forgive me), and it was delicious.  So I made her tell me exactly what was in it (it's her mom's recipe originally) and then I made a take on it myself.  And dudes?  Easiest thing you'll ever do.  And maybe also best.  Especially if you make it on a day so cold that when you accidentally go outside without gloves, your hands catch on fire.  You know what I'm talking about.  Winter.  And winter calls for butternut squash bisque with a kick.  I subbed in olive oil for 2 tablespoons of butter, so you do you, but in case your jam is veganism, you can totally chow down on the following, ya dig?  Just lookin out for you food freaks cuz I love ya.

Vegan Butternut Bisque with Curry and Ginger
serves 3

1 smallish butternut squash, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 yellow onion, chopped
5 cups vegetable broth, divided
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tablespoons curry powder
salt and pepper

Over medium heat, warm the olive oil and some salt and pepper in a large pot for about 2 minutes.  Add chopped onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally, 5 - 7 minutes.

Add squash, ginger, curry and 4 cups of vegetable broth. Mix, and then let simmer, uncovered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until squash is cooked through.  Remove from heat and allow to cook slightly.

Working in batches, puree soup in a blender until smooth.  Return to pot, add remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth, stir to incorporate, and heat before serving.  Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika and fresh ground pepper


No comments:

Post a Comment