Tuesday, September 18, 2012

occasional failure.


I swore I would never make cake pops, but then I ruined a perfect bundt cake.
I didn't flour the pan, and all that sifted incredible vanilla stuff of dreams got stuck in there and would not come out.


Best cake ever.  Stuck in pan.  Will not come out.  Best cake ever.  I have had worse problems than this before in my life but nothing ever so devastatingly delicious.


SO.  I scooped the cake out in chunks, mashed it up with frosting, rolled it into balls, dunked it in candy coating and covered it in sprinkles.  Did you know that's how you make cake pops?  It is.

Did you also know that cake pops suck?  Like pretty objectively, they're bad.  So sweet I thought I was gonna die.  Little circular globs of sugar.  I think I ate nine.  And I didn't really love myself very much afterwards.

I am not here to talk about cake pops, actually.
Instead I implore you to make the following pound cake, and to flour your pan when you do it.
I wish you much success.
Good day.

Vanilla Pound Cake
from Baking with Julia

3 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, room temperature and whisked to blend
1 cup milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  GREASE AND FLOUR a 10 inch or 12 cup tube pan or decorative pan.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.  I know the whole room temp/sifting thing is something you think you can overlook, and you can, your cake will still be edible, but it will not be awesome.  So.  Do the things.

Beat butter in an electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.  With the machine running, add the sugar in a steady stream.  Continue to beat until mixture is light and fluffy, 4 to 5 minutes.

With the mixer still at medium speed, add the eggs one tablespoon at a time.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl and the mixer attachment from time to time.  After 3 to 4 minutes, all of the eggs should be combined and the mixture should be white, fluffy and increased in volume.

Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture and milk alternately -- 4 additions of flour, 3 of milk -- and fully incorporate after each addition.  Add the vanilla and mix to blend.

Pour batter into PREPARED pan, smoothing out the top with a spatula.  Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden at the top and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.  Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.  This is great with a simple vanilla or lemon glaze.

PS: Guess who's nice?  A lot of the many people I know.  I know nice and good people.  Sometimes I get stuck under my comforter/inside a book/inside the fridge/inside my brain/like, on Pinterest or something and forget about the nice and good people that are all over the place.  Just sayin.  I know you don't care but YOU came HERE to MY blog and no one forced you so you're gonna have to deal with the occasional rando-rant okkrrr??!?  End of post.


No comments:

Post a Comment