Monday, July 2, 2012

cool.



I’ve been wrapping many of my meals in lettuce recently, partly because bread is the antichrist in this heat, and partly because I recently bought a head of lettuce the size of my body.  I am lucky (?) enough to have Samara hair, which in addition to being frighteningly straight and dead-looking, does not respond in any way to the New York City humidity that claws at my windows, door and skin at all hours of the day and night.  So instead of spending my time fighting frizz, I sit in front of my open refrigerator for many minutes a day, brainstorming ways to feed myself lettuce.  Salad does not count.  Because I am hungry, you see.  So when I saw Joy the Baker’s recipe for BLT corn salad wraps I was like…duh.

For my feelings on bacon (spoiler alert: they are positive), see here
That post is really strange in light of recent events, but it is true nonetheless. 
Bacon for President, bacon for Veep, bacon bacon bacon etc.


Grilled Corn BLT Lettuce Wraps
Adapted from Joy the Baker

lettuce
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
2 ears of corn
1 ripe avocado, diced
3 slices crumbled, crispy bacon
the juice of ½ lime
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Grill the ears of corn until slightly charred on a barbeque or, as is my M.O., directly on a burner of your stove top.  Slice kernels off the cob and into a large bowl.

Add tomatoes, avocado, bacon, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.  Spoon heaping spoonfuls onto leaves of lettuce, wrap into some shape that you can fit into your mouth, and consume.


Side note: guess what’s good.  Gin + grapefruit juice + agave.  Does that sounds hipster and horrible?  I’m so sorry.  Try it in the privacy of your own home where no one will laugh at you because you totally know it sounds good.

Additional side note: this was an outfit I wore the other day that I thought was cool.  Unfortunately it was 1.7 trillion degrees Fahrenheit outside so sweat was pouring down my face.  Cute right?  So I covered it up with a big cut-out of the moon.  Because that's the best way to go about this, I figure.

Ecote Dress, Pins & Needles top, Kelsi Dagger boots, vintage belt

No comments:

Post a Comment