Saturday, May 5, 2012

and in the morning,


I'M MAKING WAFFLES.

There was a morning about a month ago when I went on a waffle-making bender.  I went cray.  It was a little frightening to witness, I'm told, but ultimately no one complained because they all got a meal out of it.

Is that how this works?  People let me be a nutcase because I will occasionally feed them?
Whatever, I'll take it.

I was inspired by this recipe and naturally my first move was to substitute bacon in for the ham.  Then I made some more with bacon and brown sugar.  And then brown sugar and bananas.  And then strawberries and chocolate chips.  And then some plain ones because I was tired.  And then some more with bacon and brown sugar.  It was an eventful morning.


My mom's Belgian waffle recipe is a tried and true standard, crispy on the outside and super fluffy on the inside because of the folded-in egg whites.  It takes a little extra time, but I promise you its worth it.


The Best Waffles
Serves three
from the cookbook that came with my mom's first waffle iron; the recipe is stained and wrinkled, which is how every good and oft-used recipe should look

1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 egg yolks, beaten
1 1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 egg whites, stiffly beaten

Sift together dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Stir egg yolks and milk together, and then add to dry mixture.  Mix in cooking oil.  Fold in egg whites very carefully; do not over mix, and allow little pockets of fluff to exist throughout the batter.  Cook in your preheated waffle iron.

For cheddar and bacon waffles, fill the waffle square 3/4 of the way from the center, and edge the waffle with cheese.  Sprinkle cooked bacon bits over the top.

For brown sugar banana, chocolate strawberry, and brown sugar bacon waffles, fill the waffle square halfway, sprinkle extras over the top, add more batter, and then more extras.  If using brown sugar, make sure it its the last thing you add before closing the waffle iron lid to ensure caramelization.

No comments:

Post a Comment