Thursday, April 19, 2012

tabs.

Dress: The Trust Fund, stylestalker
Secret: I own this super skimpy LBD and I've never ever worn it.
Ever.
I'm terrified.

Its hot.  I mean like this dress is sexy.  The fabric itself, not it on me.  It on me is sort of bizarre.  Which is why I've never worn it.  Why did I buy it, you're wondering?  Phenomenal question.  I have no idea.  Wishful thinking?  My alter ego did it?  I am really not good at dressing sexily.  It does not come naturally.  I would rather wear a puffy princess skirt or too many polka dots or something.  I don't know.  I don't know.

But the thing about this dress that's so cool to me is that I keep seeing pictures of people I admire wearing it.  Like Leandra Medine of The Man Repeller.


Who repell-ified it with nine hundred thousand billion layers and one turban headband.


And Oliva Lopez of Lust for Life, who wore high-waisted leather shorts over it, because she's a bamf like that.



And this one model from nastygal who has the hair that I would have if my life was a miracle dream reality.

And here's the thing.  I'm afraid of this dress because its short, tight, and sheer.  Which are things that should describe science classes, friendships and tinted moisturizers respectively.

But with a little creative styling, it could definitely be something I actually wear.  Without cowering in fear.  Right? Right?  Chuck a cool skirt over it!  Or a loose-knit sweater!  Flat boots!  A scarf belt!  Look at these inspiring ladies (save for nastygal model, who needs a sandwich).  Right?  Right?

Point: Your mom taught you not to dress like a hooch, and you should listen to her.  And Destiny's Child once said, "Nasty put some clothes on, I told ya / Don't walk out your house without your clothes on, I told ya."  And Beyonce&Michelle&Kelly give good advice.  But just because something is intrinsically...slinky...doesn't mean you have to avoid it if you usually enjoy dressing like a grandmother.

Is this a pep talk for turning slutty dresses into day-appropriate outfits?  I think it might be.  A testament, perhaps, to my unwavering faith in the healing power of layering.  Attack your own closet.  A de-skank revolution.  No bandage dress will be left behind.


1 comment:

  1. I own (believe it or not) an even skimpier version of this dress (this one) and honestly, I've worn the shit out of it. Alone at night, but during the day I think it layers beautifully into a black-on-black-on-black ensemble. Over leather leggings, under a black jacket with the sleeves rolled so the mesh peeks out. Total Carine Roitfeld quasi-goth magic.

    ReplyDelete