Tuesday, March 20, 2012

end of the rainbow.


So.  Unintentional sabbaticals.  Those are things that sometimes happen.

Do you want to hear the excuses?  They exist.  They include a robber with zero St. Patrick's Day spirit who forced his way through a window while I was at the parade and bounced with a number of my electronics.  And those of a person I love.  AND a bag of chips.  Literally stole a bag of chips.  And my computer.  This dude sucks.

Is it sexist that I automatically made him a man?  Apologies.  I think its because in my mind, a lady robber would have taken some jewelry instead and LEFT THE FRICKIN CHIPS.

Anyway.

This was how I started the St. Patrick's Day that ended with a 911 call.  Guinness Pancakes.

I am vehemently against pancake mix, having been birthed my a woman who's mantra is Homemade or Bust.  Bisquick is generally the anti-Christ.  But sometimes its St. Patrick's Day Morn and you are in a boy apartment and boxed breakfast is what you have to deal with.  So you forge ahead, with the below as your guide:

Guinness Cocoa Pancakes
adapted from The Hot Plate

1 3/4 cups Bisquick pancake mix
1/3 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Guinness

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.  Add to the dry mixture, along with Guinness, and mix with a fork until the large lumps have been incorporated.


Cook batter in 1/4 cup cakes on a greased skillet over medium-high heat.  Flip pancakes when bubbles have formed and burst on one side.

These babies are good.  A little crepe-like in their relative thinness (could have been fixed with buttermilk instead of milk, but again, boy apartment), but the cocoa powder, cinnamon and Guinness come together in a really great way.  I stuck with maple syrup as a topper, but I'm sure you could find some other festive alternatives (I'm looking at you, Bailey's).

Also this is cool, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment