Monday, February 27, 2012

piled high on bread.


A riff on the veggie burger as orchestrated by Cara of Big Girls Small Kitchen?
Yes.
Yes.
One thousand times yes.

Yes because I developed a meatless burger obsession during the one year that I ate in college dining halls and was a vegetarian simultaneously.  Both periods of my life have ended (I see you, bacon and my own oven), but the love affair with veggie burgers has not waned.

Yes because they are so easy and so SO good tasting, I had to reason with myself out loud in order to actually MAKE the "dough" into patties and cook them because I was content going at the whole damn bowl of it with a spoon.

Yes because no meat on Fridays of Lent, duh (a hipper version of me would say: #catholicschool #sorryi'mnotsorry #hashtag). 

Yes because you probably have all of this sitting around in your kitchen right now anyway!  I had to buy a can of beans and that was it.  Easy breezy beautiful, Covergirl I don't know, just make yourself a white bean burger, okkkrr?


White Bean Burgers
makes four patties

1 can white beans, strained and rinsed 
1/4 cup olive oil
1 medium white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoons grated parmesan
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Caramelize onions over low heat with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook down for 10 - 15 minutes.  Remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, mash white beans, thyme, parmesan, lemon juice, breadcrumbs and egg together.  Add onions and additional salt and pepper if necessary.  Whole beans should not be visible, but don't be afraid of chunks.  Embrace the chunks.   This is not Cream of White Bean Burger Soup.

With slightly wet hands, form the "dough" into four round patties.  With the remaining olive oil at the bottom of an oven-safe pan over medium heat, brown the patties on each side, about four minutes per side.  Then slide the pan into the oven, and cook for an additional 10 - 15 minutes, or until cooked through.


Serve on a bun with the best topping combination you can think of / whatever you have in your kitchen / whatever you can find in your fridge now that the lightbulb in there has burnt out.  True story.  Its real sad.  I think its my fridge's way of telling me to stop getting milk for my cereal...at 2 AM.  REGARDLESS: I did mine up with a sprouted 7-grain bun (oh you fancy, huh?), hummus, spinach and tomato and was a happy ladyclam indeed.


For another Friday-acceptable burger, see my under the sea love explosion here.

No comments:

Post a Comment