Wednesday, January 11, 2012

make do and mend.

I stole this picture from Cooking Light, and its inclusion should tell you that no, my camera is not back yet.  Weep if you've ever loved the house of Thebes.  Hopefully it will be back soon.  In the meantime, trust that this was EXACTLY what my dinner looked like last night.  No sarcasm.  This was it.

I'm sort of in love with Tuesdays.  Or at least this Tuesday.  Which was yesterday.
I'm in love with yesterday.
I spent the morning and afternoon at three different coffee shops and an antique bookstore.  
I drank a smoothie.   
I read about the weird rules Louis XIV instated at Versailles. 
And then I made lemon-saffron rice with shrimp.

From this you may deduce that I have too few commitments on Tuesdays and that my apartment subscribes to Cooking Light.

Lemon-Saffron Rice with Shrimp
adapted from Cooking Light Magazine

2 cups of rice, cooked a little less than al dente (it will finish cooking in the broth)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
1/2 cup water
8 ounces vegetable broth
1 cup frozen peas
the juice of 1/2 lemon

Have you ever used saffron before?  It looks like the beard clippings of your friendly neighborhood ginger man.  But it tastes sort of honey-ish and turns everything yellow, which as far as I know, is not true of beard clippings.

Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Add onion and pepper and sauté for a few minutes, adding garlic and stirring constantly.  Add shrimp to pan and cook for about one minute, stirring frequently.

Add rice, broth, water and spices and mix to combine.  Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover pan, and let simmer until all the liquid is incorporated and rice is done, about five minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and peas.

Easy.  Quick.  Weeknight dinner in a lovely way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment