Friday, October 14, 2011

she be cakin.


NOT poppyseeds.  Crazy, right? 

I was really excited to see that today’s Joy the Baker post was quinoa cakes as I’d been thinking about making some for a while.  When I saw it I said, aloud in my bedroom, “YES!  I will make these today.”  Then as an afterthought I added, “But I can’t put them on the blog.  Too much quinoa on the blog.” 

We’re going to ignore the initial issue of me talking out loud to myself and skip instead to my false idea that I always post about quinoa.  There has only been one (illustrious though it may be) quinoa recipe on this page so far; I think it feels overdone to me because it has become my sort of back-up dinner plan.  If nothing else inspires me, I make a bowl of quinoa and throw in whatever I have in my fridge.  The other day it was chicken and broccoli and pesto.  In the quinoa.  I know.  I’m crazy.  Look out.

But BECAUSE there has only been one quinoa recipe, and BECAUSE this one is so very different, I feel ok sharing it with you.  The process reminded me a little of making falafel (lots of stuff in a bowl, mush it around, cook in little patties) and the product tasted just as good. 



Quinoa Cakes
Adapted from Joy the Baker who adapted from Super Natural Every Day

¾ cup raw quinoa (Do you know the thing about how you have to rinse quinoa?  Joy says its because if you don’t it tastes dirty.  I learned to soak it in water and remove the kernels that float.)
1 cup water
½ medium onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup shredded parmesan 
½ cup breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon lemon zest
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
2 eggs, beaten

Put quinoa and water in a small pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer until water is incorporated.  Fluff with a fork, and let cool.


In a large bowl, mix onion, garlic, cheese, breadcrumbs, zest, salt and pepper.  Add cooled quinoa, and then the beaten eggs.  Mix until moist, adding a little bit of water if necessary. 


Form “dough” into patties – mine were about ¼ cup each.  Heat a skillet over medium and fry on each side for about 3 minutes, or until golden brown.


I threw mine on a salad (boring? typical?) but they would also make a great alternative to potatoes in the morning.  Omelets and quinoa cakes, ya dig?  I smell breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment