Wednesday, October 5, 2011

meatless.


How do we feel about tofu?

And by "we" I mean "you" because I already know how I feel about it.

I feel very positively about tofu.  I am in the middle of what some would call a sordid affair with tofu, in fact.  I consume it, in one form or another, nearly every day.  I feel no remorse.

More often than not, I buy marinaded sesame tofu from the Whole Foods prepared foods counter (I'm noticing that I only name drop my grocery shopping location when it isn't Jewel Osco.  Don't be misled: its almost always Jewel Osco) and inhale it.  It's sweet and funky, and I was thrilled to discover a version of the sauce online to experiment with and completely rearrange in my own kitchen.


Perhaps you are afraid of tofu.  I understand.  Its white and jigglyish and comes in varieties like FIRM and EXTRA FIRM.  Like a mattress.  Or a handshake.  Except tofu tastes much better than mattresses and handshakes, especially when coated in a savory marinade, pan-fried, and chopped up on a salad.

Face your tofu-based fears today.  You will have garlic and soy sauce and me on your side.  Together we can do anything.


Sweet Sesame Marinade/Pan-Fry Sauce

2 cloves garlic, finely minced
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon tahini
2 teaspoons sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard


Whisk together all ingredients. Working in batches, dunk your protein of choice into the sauce, coating both sides.  Fry briefly on each side in a pan over medium heat until golden brown.

Alternatively, you could switch a kind of vinegar (rice wine would be great) in for the oil.  That would mean frying the protein in Canola oil first, draining on a paper towel, and then tossing with the sauce.  Pick your poison.


Use leftover sauce as a salad dressing!  So smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment