Sunday, September 4, 2011

part of a balanced breakfast.


I was all set to make cinnamon rolls yesterday, but then two very important things happened.  First, I remembered I'm afraid of yeast.  Making a rising dough scares me.  There's so much room for error.  Yikes.  One day I will face this fear but yesterday was not that day.

Secondly, my Fruit of the Month Club box arrived in the mail, and it was peaches.


If your parents are like, "What do you want for Christmas / your birthday / graduation / Arbor Day?"  your answer is "The Harry & David Fruit of the Month Club."  Every thirty days, a small box of fresh produce is delivered to my door with a book of recipes and a note that says, "Have a good year! Love, Mom, Dad and Shelby."  My roommates and I love the Fruit of the Month Club.  We live for the Fruit of the Month Club.  Our membership certificate is tacked to our kitchen wall.  The honeybell oranges went fast but the avocados went faster.  The asparagus was massive.  We get vegetables sometimes.  We go with the flow.


I knew I wanted to make something breakfasty and not, say, a pie, so I hunted around for a recipe to mimic and settled on the following.  These scones are GOOD.  Tender and fruity and citrusy and light.  I am all about them.


Peach and Raspberry Scones
adapted from My Kitchen Escapades
makes 17 scones


1 cup light sour cream
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 egg, beaten
2 large peaches, finely diced
1/2 container raspberries, chopped

Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
the juice of 1/2 lemon
a pinch of salt

Mix the sour cream and baking soda in a bowl and set aside.  It'll do the vinegar/baking soda thing and bubble up and get poofy; this is the trick to the moist crumb of this scone.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cream of tartar. Slice the butter into pats, and add to the dry mixture.  If you have a food processor, cut the butter into the powder mixture until the pieces are pea-sized.  If there is no food processor at your disposal, cut up the butter using an electric mixer, but be sure not to over mix.

Add the fruit, sour cream mixture and egg to the bowl and mix until just combined.  It will take a while.  4 cups of flour is a lot of flour.



I decided to make these scones “rustic” – a word which means I just scooped out heaping spoonfuls of batter and plopped them directly onto my baking sheet.  Rustic is the same thing as lazy.  If you have a lot of time and patience, feel free to turn the dough over onto a slightly floured surface and mold it into little triangles.  I would have done this (I like cute things), but my dough was very sticky, and I was afraid the amount of flour I'd need to use to make it malleable would disrupt the baking process in some way.  So rustic it was.

Leave ample space on the sheet for the scones to spread -- I fit 6 per baking sheet and that worked perfectly.  Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on the edges and not mushy at the top.


Mix together the icing ingredients while you're waiting for the scones to cool, and then drizzle it over the top.

Let it run down the sides and pool on your parchment paper.  Thats what icing is for.


Give the first scone to your roommate because you are so nice, and also because you already ate the equivalent of a scone and a half in batter.

A yummy breakfast or dessert, these babies are chock full of fruit and not overly sweet.  The lemon in the glaze gives it an extra brightness, and I think next time I'd even add some zest to the dough.  Use whatever fresh fruit you have on hand, or, as in the original recipe, orange juice and dried cranberries.

-----------------------

I'm doing some reorganization at NSED, and I'm sure you've noticed.  I'm figuring out all of the things you can do with this program, and excavating the little html knowledge that I have from the dark recesses of my mind where it is stored next to How To Work Myspace.  Let me know what you think. 

No comments:

Post a Comment