Monday, September 12, 2011

the girl and the fig.


Oh I am obsessed with figs.  I told my boyfriend the other day while eating one that I think they are luscious and romantic, and he looked at me like I was a maniac.  He often looks at me like I am a maniac, but this time it was because I was saying sensual things about the produce.

I bought TWO baskets of California Mission figs at Whole Foods the other day because there was a sale (and also because they looked so perfect and massive) and had been popping them every time I wandered through the kitchen.  Something needed to be done.  These figs had a higher calling than my snacking and I knew it.

So I roasted those puppies.


Roasted Figs

Figs (I had two baskets, which was approximately 20 figs, and filled up one casserole dish without crowding)
Olive oil
Honey
Salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Lop the stems off the figs and slice them in half.  Spread figs out in a casserole dish, cut side up.  Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil (I used about a tablespoon) and twice as much honey.  Sprinkle with salt.

Roast in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until partially caramelized and soft.

Put them on ice cream, put them in yogurt, put them on crackers with goat cheese, put them in a salad, put them in your mouth this SECOND.

Caramelized, bubbly goodness.  See how the honey gets dark and crispy?  Ugh.
This post is named after a restaurant in Sonoma, California.  I have never been there, but my parents have, and they brought me back a baseball cap.  It says "The Girl and the Fig" on it.  Creative, right?  But also so bizarre.  And also probably the title of my memoirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment