Wednesday, September 14, 2011

carrotgingercoconutsoup

I should have wiped down the side of the bowl there for this picture, but I was too hungry.
It is almost Fall and the weather outside is sort of reflecting that and if you could hear the displeasure with which I state those facts you would...hear a lot of displeasure.

I would like nothing more than the sun to shine year round and to never ever have to wear pants.  I would like to eat soup solely for show, and to utilize Autumnal vegetables, and not because my insides actually need any sort of warming.

Regardless.

This recipe looked so simple and bright and healthy, I had to try it.
A wonderful and easy end to my day, and a phenomenal inaugural usage for my new blender.

Carrot, Ginger and Coconut Soup
Adapted from Joy the Baker

2 tablespoons coconut oil (listen: here's where I adapted.  I didn't have coconut milk but I DID have coconut oil, so I switched out the olive oil and used regular milk.  Joy did olive oil and coconut milk.  Pick your poison kids)
1 medium onion, diced
3 tablespoons minced ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
4-5 cups diced carrots
3 cups vegetable broth
1 cup nonfat milk
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a medium saucepan.  Add onions and saute until translucent.  Add ginger and cook until soft and fragrant, about 4 minutes.

Add coriander, carrots and vegetable broth.  Reduce heat and simmer until carrots are completely soft, about 20 minutes.  Remove from heat and allow to cool (or impatiently stick pot into freezer and tap foot).

Working in batches, blend soup until smooth.  Return soup to pot to warm, stir in milk and add salt and pepper to taste.

Not my hands.  Hopefully obvious.  But I guess you never know.
Spoon that stuff into a bowl.  Mangia.  Dunk some hearty bread into it.  Slurp.  Get messy and orange.

PS:  Yes, I am going to make the kale chips on the same Joy post.  ASAP.
PPS: If you do the coconut milk/olive oil version, this soup is vegan!
PPSS: This is not my mother's cream of carrot soup, which is better than anything you've ever tasted in your life including dessert.  Maybe I will make that one day.  It is less healthy than this one.
PPPSS: Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment