Monday, August 29, 2011

while you can.


Listen.

You know I'm never going to lead you astray, right?  I'm never going to try to feed you something that isn't delicious, and I'm not going to exaggerate and say THIS IS THE BEST THING YOU'LL EVER CONSUME!!!! when it's far from it.  I'm not going to lie to you.  I'm just trying to do you right.

That being said, the recipe I'm going to share with you today is so good I almost died.

It is so good that I ate it and made noises like, "MMMmmmmmMMmMMmMMmm."  It is hard for me to talk about it without falling over in ecstasy.  I want to orchestrate a symphony in this dish's honor.  I want to assign it a national holiday.  I think if I made a big enough vat of it and sent a bowlful to all of the world's leaders, we would achieve peace on Earth.


Summer Vegetable Quinoa
inspired by Joy the Baker and a meal I once ate at Blind Faith Cafe
serves 3

Quinoa is grain that you cook like rice, but that maintains a crunchier texture and a heartier taste.  I had a sack of it in my pantry, and wanted to incorporate some summer vegetables while I still had the chance.  The result is a grilled, sweet, creamy, salty and awesome meal.  Do yourself a favor and eat this as soon as physically possible.

1 cup quinoa (I used black, but any color - or a mixture - would work just fine)
1 large ear of sweet corn
1 medium zucchini
1 ripe avocado

2 tablespoons olive oil
the juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and pepper to taste

crumbled, crispy bacon
good shredded parmesan

Cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the bag/box; different colors have a slight variation, but my black quinoa recommended boiling 1 cup in 1 3/4 cup water until most of the water was evaporated, and then reducing it to a simmer until it was all incorporated.  Fluff with a fork and set aside.

Do you have a barbecue?  I am jealous.  Cut the zucchini in half long-ways, and throw the pieces (flesh side down) and the ear of corn directly onto the grill.  If you live in a college apartment and the best you have is a stove, use tongs and grill it over the flame a la indoor s'mores.  Remove from heat when veggies have achieved a pretty char and are softer to touch.

Slice the corn kernels off of the cob and chop up the zucchini, tossing both into the quinoa.  Scoop out the insides of the avocado and give it a rough chop.  Mix this into the quinoa as well; the avocado will not keep its shape but meld together with the quinoa, giving it a creamier texture that will make you want to sing a song.


Serve quinoa in a bowl, garnished with a sprinkle (handful) of crumbled bacon and parmesan cheese.


Sit down for dinner with someone you like a lot on the furniture thats still in the middle of the room from when you painted.
Take a big bite.

Think about weeping with joy, but just smile instead.
Say, "Mmmmm."

No comments:

Post a Comment