Thursday, August 25, 2011

the opposite of ex-pat.



topshop opening lustlist
Topshop & Illustrated People; all pieces available at Topshop


Topshop, the British-based clothes retailer and design house that has historically teamed up with the likes of Kate Moss and Stella Vine, is planning to open its second U.S. flagship store on Michigan Avenue in downtown Chicago on September 7th.

I have been dying about this since I first passed the storefront and its "Coming Soon!" sign sometime last winter.  I am one free, quick bus ride and two short weeks from a history-making ribbon cutting.

This is me attempting nonchalance in 2006 at a Topshop in London.  Notice the Abercrombie & Fitch cargo shorts that I got from the boy's section.  What a choice.  Holla at me, fifteen year olds.

I would describe Topshop as a higher quality H&M: mirroring topical runway trends in more accessible and affordable ways, creating collaborations with notable designers (did you see H&M’s with Lanvin last year?  Absurd), and having that subtle funky European slant -- but with a little steeper price tag.  It’s like Zara but trendier.  Or Abercrombie & Fitch without half naked men drenched in bad cologne.  So it's nothing like Abercrombie & Fitch.   

To celebrate this grand opening on the Magnificent Mile and in my heart, and to employ my new discovery of Polyvore (an online styling website which lets you create looks and inspiration billboards using pieces that are currently in stores), I have thrown together some of my favorite Fall pieces from Topshop.  Pretty simple stuff, but with detailing that makes it not just a classic gray sweater.  Arm cutouts.   You can’t beat that.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying over this. Lately I've been spending my days off gawking at everything I can't afford on Michigan Avenue, and every time I see that "COMING IN SEPTEMBER" awning I feel a little pitter-patter of hope. Come to think of it, maybe that's just my wallet quaking. Trying to decide whether I have the strength to brave the opening or if I'd rather wait two weeks until they've
    (presumably) restocked at least once...I'm on the hunt for a truly fantastic leather jacket, so let me know if you see any worthy candidates.

    P.S. Welcome back! Zoom on over to Crossroads and say hi sometime.

    ReplyDelete